Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Is Nene the Best Defender on this Team?

(Boulder-CO) Well, according to www.82games.com 's new defensive composite scoring system he is! I strongly urge you to check it out and to be sure to pay special attention to the formula that creates the rankings. The Nuggets have three players, (Nene, Reggie Evans, and Eduardo Najera); with an overall rating of "90" or better, but surprisingly to me is how Marcus only scores an 86.

On a low note, J.R. Smith and Carmelo Anthony do not break the “20” mark, meaning in everyday English that they play shoddy D!

The defensive composite scoring is a pretty cool way to measure how solid a defender a player is, but it is by no means, obviously, a perfect system. By the way, the best defender in the league by the DCS is Tim Duncan with a score of “100” on the dot. Others with a “99” are Tyrus Thomas and Renaldo Balkman. Somewhere Marcel Mutoni of Bench Renaldo is flabbergasted!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a stat nerd, so I enjoyed looking at this. But seeing Tayshaun Prince with the 2nd to last rating on the Pistons (a measly 46) kinda raises my eyebrow... especially when you see LeBron up there with a 93..

And it looks like Chucky will blend right in with our style of play -- his 1 rating is pretty funny.

Just looking them over at the macro level, it seems like it just rewards players on teams that play a really slow style and have those 75-72 kind of games. I mean, 7 Rockets over 85? Including Rafer Alston, who just doesn't play good defense (aside from getting some steals)? Kinda weird... It definitely needs some tweaking as far as I can tell.

Heh, I also like that the Bucks lack a signle player over 60 -- that says something, even if these ratings might be a little flawed.

Anonymous said...

Kinda interesting that JR and Marcus as a pair are the best for our team (which is awesome, because they're my two favorite players). Looking at it further, AI and JR don't seem to work well together... I love looking at that stuff -- 82games.com is awesome. Also, 'Melo and Nene are beasts when they're out together -- we've got a lot of that to look forward to this year.

Also, the 5-man units are cool to see.. My preferred unit is #10 on the list, but it's sporting the best non-Andre Miller win % (70%) and +/- (+34).

Looking at this stuff also makes me miss Andre again...

Nugg Doctor said...

Nice evaluation, Stumble. I haven't had the time to get into it all that deep, but I too agree that the DCS is a little bit flawed.

Some guys are too high, some guys are too low.

Overall though, I would have to say that they have the teams pretty well dialed in.

Thanks for reading,

The Nugg Doctor

ThaAnswer said...

Couple of notes. Tayshaun sucked last year as far as defending. Anyone from UK sucks regardless, my opinion as a UC guy. Anyway I'm looking forward to this year. And as a former Phila guy, I can say...go KG. Beat those damn Sixers. Check the June issue of Dime Mag, my comments says if anyone should win a ring its AI..2nd is KG, he really upped his chances. The Celtc will be tough this year. GO NUGGETS DAMNIT

Harris said...

With the way Nene matched up against Tim Duncan in the first round, it would be hard to argue that he isn't the best defender on the team. Cambyman may be the best help defender, but I can't wait to see a full season of a healthy Nene plowing through the Western Conference