Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Even While Suspended He Gets Awards

(Boulder-CO) It never ceases to amaze me sometimes when it comes to the popularity rise of Carmelo Anthony. Despite being away from the NBA now for nearly fifteen games, Carmelo has received yet another honor by USA Basketball. He does everything you ask him to do on the court and then goes home and oversees charitable foundations and other worthwhile causes. ‘Melo is just that kind of superstar I guess, and now he gets honored as 2006 USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year, despite being in the NBA slammer.

Carmelo Anthony is being honored with such an award for his performances this summer while playing in the FIBA games where he was the sole American to be named to the five-man All-World team. ‘Melo accepted the award and made this statement taken from http://www.nuggets.com/, “I’m very honored to receive this award, I want to thank Mr. Colangelo and Coach K and his staff for giving me the opportunity to play for this team. I worked extremely hard over the summer to prepare because I take great pride in playing for my country. I also want to thank my teammates. They're a great group of guys and we had a lot of fun playing together. I look forward to continuing to work hard for USA Basketball and helping us get that gold medal in '08.”

The rest of the article sums up Carmelo’s numbers and offers some very high praise from USA Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski. This honor should be a nice fit with the rest of the other trophies in Carmelo’s office.

Nice work, Carmelo. You certainly were worth waking up at 3:30 in the morning to watch this summer!

No comments: