Friday, December 1, 2006

Taming the Wolves


(Boulder-CO) The Denver Nuggets bounced back tonight against the Timberwolves and won 106-92. Thankfully for me (I was thinking about packing up shop after my previous preview of the Memphis game) most of the things I talked about for tonight’s game were right on target. The Nuggets played with heart, for each other, and cohesively in a dominant road victory that should have George Karl breathing a short lived sigh of relief. Especially after reports of some heated words for his players in the last few days of practice.

First, a side note of tonight’s game and a highlight for Andre Miller. I think I’m going to start referring to Andre as, “Old Reliable”, because tonight he played in his 300th consecutive game in the NBA and currently has the third longest streak in the league. And he didn’t have a bad game either and tonight leads off the Nuggets long list of stars of the game. Miller finished with 17 points, nine assists, three rebounds, and only three turnovers.

He was partners in crime tonight with Carmelo Anthony. ‘Melo is putting on a scoring exhibition in every NBA city! He lit the Wolves up for 35 points, eight rebounds, four assists, and three steals in a team high 41 minutes of action. If I may elaborate for a minute, Carmelo Anthony is the most versatile scorer in the league this far into the season. Allen Iverson may be giving him a run for his money in the early scoring race, but it is the variety of ways Carmelo scores his buckets that is truly phenomenal. He hits jump shots off the dribble, takes his man down in the blocks, finishes on the fast break, catches alley-oops, and faces up his man with jumper with equal deadliness. He is just unstoppable and if he ever gets his three point shot down, well… I don’t think I need to tell you what the deal will be.

Reggie Evans recorded a season high 16 boards and seven points. And last but certainly not least in contribution in tonight’s game was the performance by Eduardo Najera. Eddie “Energy” recorded a double-double of 14 points and eleven rebounds (eight offensive) in an inspired display that was definitely his best of the year so far. Overall the Nuggets out rebounded the T-Wolves 52-40 and everyone in the Nuggets starting five scored in double digits as the team cruised to victory.

Cohesiveness Nuggets fans, cohesiveness was the term I would use for tonight’s heady win. The Nuggets played with poise and polish and made the right plays at the right times throughout all phases of the game.

Denver returns home tomorrow night for a meeting with the Indiana Pacers and I will be at the game for an up-close and personal look at our beloved Nuggets. I haven’t been to Pepsi Center since the Nuggets beat the Raptors a while back, so I am looking forward to tomorrow night. The Nuggets are 9-5 and just 2 ½ games behind Utah for the divisional lead. Utah has played 17 games so far and stands at 13-4.

3 comments:

Nugg Doctor said...

I apologize to Nugg Doctor readers for the sloppy format of this post and the lack of a game picture. I assure you that it is not of my doing. It is rather a problem with the blogger interface and will be fixed and updated as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading,

The Nugg Doctor

Lil Dice said...

Even though I found the game thoroughly depressing, my friends and I couldn't stop laughing when Evans picked up Boykins and started swinging him around like a rag doll.

Unknown said...

Nice summary of game Nuggdoc. I'm stating the obvious here...but the chemistry and won/loss record changed dramatically once they "lost" KMart and got Reggie some minutes. Also, have you noticed Melo's new found passing abilities, making teammates better will get him to elite status.