Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Don’t Call, Just Text

(Boulder-CO) The Nuggets have reportedly hit the snooze button, at least for now, on the Iverson trade deal. Not that they aren’t still interested, but Ben Maller is reporting on his rumors and notes site in a quote taken from The Denver Post that the Nuggets are on a text-message basis with Billy King and the 76ers.

Here’s the quote, “But in the aftermath of suspensions three Nuggets received for fighting Saturday against New York, the NBA source said the Nuggets have been communicating with Philadelphia general manager Billy King only via text message. If anything serious comes up in regard to Iverson, the Nuggets are expected to receive a call.”

I hope the Nuggets have a QWERTY keypad because this sounds like the kind of thing we used to tell each other back in college when a keg party was potentially in the mix on a Saturday night. It was also usually accompanied by, “If you know any females, bring ‘em. We aren’t trying to have a sword fight over here!”

Here’s what my text message to Billy King would look like, “Sup, if you want to dish AI to us for some picks, Nene, and a reserve of your choice hit me up. Also, if you send him over here, pick up a 2-litre of Coke. Somebody brought over some JD, L8rs."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, so it's a done deal. Andre, Joe Smith, and both first-round picks to Philly for AI. Craziness. I'll shed a tear for Andre, as he was one of my dudes on the Nuggets. But damn, I can't say that I'm upset by this. I did want to see what a Melo/JR-less Nugs squad could do for this stretch, but I think our prospects with AI in tow will be better than without.

I wonder how soon this is going to happen in terms of when AI will play his first game. Either way, he's going to have to take a bit of a backseat when Melo comes back, and then we have to work out the chemistry with the AI Nugs (during the suspensions) and the Melo Nugs (afterwards). hopefully we'll have the AI-Melo Nugs by February so we can make that big playoff push.

It'll be a bit shocking to not see Andre at the games anymore. But I think that shock will be short-lived when the shock of having AI, JR, Melo, Nene, and Camby as our starting five. This removes the whole versatility aspect a bit, and I'm worried about who will play distributor. I hope AI will be able/willing to take on that role (as he did with the Olympic team), because he's a better passer than Earl is. And if worse comes to worse, we could probably pick up a guy like Earl Watson on the cheap later in the year to take care of the passing attack if AI isn't working on that front.

Wow. I guess that's really it -- wow. We have a certified future Hall of Fame guy on our team. Let's see how it goes from here. They can't print those jerseys fast enough for me.