Saturday, September 2, 2006

Consolation Prize for Team USA

(Boulder-CO) I can’t even get excited to report that the USA has beaten Argentina to take home the bronze medal at the FIBA Championships. I’m just glad that no one, especially Carmelo, didn’t get hurt. As far as I’m concerned, and I think that I speak for a majority of those who have been watching, it was gold or total bust for the USA. The one thing that I can say has been made completely apparent to me is that the 1992 Dream Team was truly just that. A Dream. Anyone who thinks that the level of play, and understanding of the game on the surface and its details, is better now should do their homework.

Carmelo Anthony should be the hands down, no questions asked, MVP of this tournament. He led the USA in points per game with 19.9, tied with Chris Paul for the most steals with 17 total, and shot 44% from three point territory. He never took a game off and without his record setting performance against Italy. Who knows what might have happened.

This consolation game was highlighted by Dwayne Wade scoring 32 points in 35 minutes, but it was merely for show because I doubt many were watching. I am excited to have the regular season about a month and a half away. It is the only thing that is going to make me forget this disappointing finish.

No comments: